Other than each being four letters, they are both prized by many cultures and this week prized by us too at the 27th Annual Golden Spike Awards. It was all accompanied by the fanfare of lots of applause, cheers and paparazzi-esque photos throughout the evening. A record 130 entries were submitted this year for the annual best practice award competition sponsored by the Greater Salt Lake and Utah Valley Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) organizations.
We got to laud our own Mary Rice who was named the 2014 Young Professional Communicator of the Year and celebrate with our client partners on 24 award wins.
Mary joined us from the news desk three years ago and while we know she is terrific, the Golden Spike Award Committee gave her a resounding nod too. The award is for people who have worked in public relations for less than five years and demonstrate exceptional knowledge, skill and ability in their public relations career. We couldn’t have said it better ourselves!
For our client partners, we were honored to work with them on initiatives ranging from channeling Godzilla to help preventing driving fatalities, enlisting bloggers for child safety and increasing market share for Utah’s premier grocer to the opening of a mine access road in Bingham Canyon Mine.
We brought home first place Golden Spike Awards for:
– Food For Thought Summer Edition magazine (Harmons Grocery)
– Safety Saturday lifestyle blogger event (Intermountain Primary Children’s Hospital)
– We Specialize in You marketing campaign (Ogden Clinic)
– Merwy Cwismas and Happy Hollidays holiday card & app (Penna Powers)
– Rio Tinto Kennecott Mine Access Road Opening Event (Rio Tinto Kennecott)
– 2012 Teen Memoriam illustration (Utah Department of Transportation Zero Fatalities)
– Godzilla and Toothless theatre door wraps (Utah Department of Transportation Zero Fatalities)
– Fish Utah photography (Utah Division of Wildlife Resources)
Communication efforts earning finalist awards this year:
– Breadwinner TV spot (Harmons Grocery)
– Breadwinner print ad (Harmons Grocery)
– Harmons Grocery Store media relations (Harmons Grocery)
– Smog Spotter radio (Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles). Smog Spotter also won a first place Pinnacle Awards for integrated communications and online banner ads from PRSA’s Las Vegas Valley Chapter
– Smog Spotter Program (Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles)
– We Specialize in You media relations (Ogden Clinic)
– We Specialize in Saving You a Bundle on Bumps and Bruises outdoor (Ogden Clinic)
– Chelsie Hill video (Utah Department of Transportation Zero Fatalities)
– Parental Involvement Program (Utah Department of Transportation Zero Fatalities)
– Twist TV spot (Utah Department of Transportation Zero Fatalities)
– Twist campaign (Utah Department of Transportation Zero Fatalities)
– Twist media relations (Utah Department of Transportation Zero Fatalities)
– FishUtah.org interactive communications (Utah Division of Wildlife Resources)
– Fish Utah campaign research (Utah Division of Wildlife Resources)
– STD of the Sea video (Utah Division of Wildlife Resources)
– STD of the Sea print (Utah Division of Wildlife Resources)
The Sierra Nevada PRSA chapter judged award entries. Different from most award programs, the Golden Spike awards criterion includes measurable demonstrations of increasing awareness, changing behavior and modifying perceptions.
Great work is not created in silos and the Golden Spike Awards are the result of teams coming together from every area of our agency – PR, advertising, media, digital and public involvement – to strategize the best approach for every campaign, program, and project.
Cheers and congratulations again to all our tremendous client partners and for letting us be a part of sharing and telling your story of all the good that you do.